IV Sedation PreopERATIVE instructions
You will be undertaking a procedure that will help restore your mouth to health. By following our instructions before and after surgery, you can avoid significant changes in your daily activities.
Week Prior to Surgery
- Please inform us of any new medications you are taking or changes in your health history
- Please have your prescriptions filled prior to your appointment
Night Before Surgery
- Eat normally
- Do not drink any alcoholic beverages
- Get a good night’s sleep
- Please take medications as prescribed and directed
- Do not smoke the day before surgery
Day of Surgery
- You cannot have ANYTHING to eat or drink six (6) hours before your appointment. EXCEPTION: You should have at least one FULL glass of water with the medications prescribed by Dr. Tsai taken prior to your appointment.
- If your appointment is in the morning, do not eat after midnight the evening before.
- If you are appointed for the afternoon, have a small light meal no later than 6 hours before your appointment.
- Wear comfortable clothes, preferably with short sleeves, as we will be taking your blood pressure. Do not wear dark nail polish, please.
- Women, please do not wear lipstick or makeup around your mouth.
- YOU MUST ARRANGE FOR A RESPONSIBLE ADULT OVER 18 YEARS OLD TO MEET YOU IN OUR OFFICE AND ESCORT YOU HOME AFTER SURGERY.
If you are not able to follow these instructions, we will not be able to administer sedation or complete the planned treatment. In this event a missed appointment charge of $100 per hour of reserved time may be charged.
If you have any questions regarding these instructions or the sedation procedure, please call our office.